Tonal control from the keyboard -Reply

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:45:34 -0500

----------
> From: Vince Mrykalo <mrykalov@BYUGATE.byu.edu>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: Tonal control from the keyboard -Reply
> Date: Friday, April 18, 1997 10:46 AM
>
> There is so much that we as technicians don't know
>about the piano
> , that to have such a narrow view of
> what pianists can and cannot control, snip

What I would like to know in regards to the hammer hitting the
string, and only that tiny parameter of piano tone for the moment,
what can be controlled other than its velocity?
Sometimes to see the whole picture especially as technicians, we must
focus on one event  at a time, scrutinize it and go on to the next.
That does not mean one is having  "such a narrow view"
How else are we to get past "There is so much that we as technicians
don't know about the piano"  How do we get to the dialogue with the
pianist of what can and cannot be controlled?
Richard Moody

There is so much that we as technicians don't know
about the piano, that to have such a narrow view of
what pianists can and cannot control, is to not only
ignore the evidence that Bob and Horace have
pointed out, but also ignores the fact that we don't
really know all the dynamics that go into piano tone.
A good place to start would be to read the "Five
Lectures on the Acoustics of the Piano" that can be
had from Steinway, especially the article by
Askenfelt and Jansson titled "From Touch to String
Vibration", another one of those "must read" piano
books.

Vince Mrykalo
BYU