Tuning Trouble

Dave Doremus dbd01@gnofn.org
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 22:28:24 -0500 (CDT)

I have a problem piano in a hotel bar that will NOT stay in tune in the
top two treble sections. I have tried everything I can think of to
stabilize it, it has improved but there are still a few notes that slip
consistently. Even when I pull them way sharp and pound them down to where
I want them I can still knock them flat with a few heavy test blows.
Admittedly, I think they would stay under normal usage but this poor B
gets three sets a night by very heavy players, one string a weekend
average breakage. I have seated and tightened coils, tapped strings, filed
hammers, tightened plate screws etc. Block is original and a good fit,
piano was restrung in a sloppy manner two years ago, not by me, and had
lots of regulaion and touchweight problems when I first saw it. Now all is
well and everybody happy except for the stability. I'm open for any and
all advice no matter how weird. Thanks all.

Dave Doremus  RPT
New Orleans