string leveling (was damper seating)

Jerry Anderson jandy@MicroNet.fr
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 15:37:01 +0200 (MET DST)

Greetings,

My string leveling device isn't very high tech, but it's
very precise.  It's a piece of brass stock 40 x 10 x 2 mm.
I stand it on the 2mm edge on the strings so that the
40mm length spans three unisons.  If  I keep it polished
its easy to see the out-of-level strings against the base,
but generally I lightly  pluck strings as the strings will
vibrate against the brass with an effect that varies according
to how much they are contacting (or not contacting) the brass.
It's then a matter of leveling and repeating the test until
all strings look and sound the same.

If the stings are extremely out of level it's better to shift
the piece of stock between several contiguous groups
of three unisons before starting to level, to avoid the error
of "leveling" a run of three unisons into a slanting plane.

The stock is small enough that it has the tendency to fall over
which quickly becomes annoying, so I've added a small
handle:  a  4 cm length of wood (it looks suspiciously like
a popsicle stick) glued perpendicularly to the 4 cm length
of brass- the whole thing has the form of a T.

Jerry Anderson