Seating/false beats

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 19:35:54 -0500 (CDT)

At 06:48 PM 4/19/97 -0500, you wrote:

>----------
>> From: Ron Nossaman <nossaman@southwind.net>
>> To: pianotech@byu.edu
>> Subject: Re: Seating/false beats
>> Date: Saturday, April 19, 1997 12:40 PM
>>

>> Hi Susan & all,
>>

>> If there were a super lubricant that got you zero friction between
>the strings and pins, the string would, indeed, stay down on the
>bridge when at rest. When struck, the pitch would vary wildly as the
>string rendered back and forth freely through the pins.
>

>Granted there is no zero friction execpt in the imaginary.  So in
>reality  does the pitch vary less wildly as the string renders less
>freely through the pins according to how much friction is present?
>
>R Moody .

Yep. Given a well tuned, stabile piano. I've noticed on some instruments, a heavy blow will knock a string slightly flat. Following up with a lot of light to medium blows, the string will creep back up to pitch! I'm assuming the now overtensioned tail sec
tion is pulling the string back through the bridge until the section tensions equalize. This doesn't work on all pianos. Some just don't render through the bridge easily enough to noticeably produce the effect. Like everything else relating to this discus
sion, and pianos in general, it's a matter of degree.

 Ron Nossaman