Seating/false beats

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 19:35:57 -0500 (CDT)

Hi all,

At 05:38 PM 4/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Susan Kline wrote:
>
>> No, but I also have trouble with the humidity theory. (However, it's
>> _remarkably_ original and interesting!)
>>
>> First, why has no one noted a difference in the need for string seating in
>> wet and dry climates, or between buildings with good and poor climate-control?
>	Actually, I have noticed that I have to encourage the strings on
>my concert grands bridgeward each fall/winter. This seems to be mainly in
>octaves 4-6. When I find that certain strings are becoming resistant to
>tuning, I tap lightly and usually hear a "snick" as the string seats. The
>string then tunes much more easily, and stays put better. I relate this
>phenomenon more to tuning ease and stability than to false beats. I also
>notice that the pianos seem much more stable in general during the spring
>and summer than in the fall and winter.

I mentioned a while back that pianos tend to tune much cleaner and sweeter in the summer when the humidity is up. I didn't specifically point it out, but the inference was that tuners usually seat strings to cure unwanted noises. It's done less in the sum
mer when the noises are minimal, and more in the winter when...

 Ron Nossaman