Baldwin/Hamilton bridle straps

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 14:21:47 -0700 (MST)

Hi Dianne:

Old hardened bridle tabs can make noise, especially on the old type
bridle wires which did not have the pigtail configuration. A drop of
polyvinyl glue will stop the noise, and will chip off when the time
comes to replace.

You can also get noise from the bridle wire touching the backcheck
wire.

The underfelt color varies according to manufacturer and sometimes
will designate the type of hammer this is.  There may be no
correlation in the meaning of the color from decade to decade. Some
may have used color to designate the hammer density, but this is not
always the case.  Vincent hammers used to always have green
underfelt. Purple or maroon have been used by several hammer makers.

Jim Coleman, Sr.