tuning sequence

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 13:32:31 -0400

Hi, Barry,

Those of us who tune the same pianos, over and over again the school
environs come to some conclusions regarding pitch changes because we DO tune
the same pianos, over and over again.

First, when  piano goes out because of humidity changes (15 to 85% here in
NJ) the amount of change averages out to be the current pitch of the middle
string, so when I pitch change I measure the middle string for the
compensation factor so that when I am finished I have a piano on pitch and
nearly in tune.  If I use other strings, like the left when tuning the
treble, I will change the comp. factor a little to compensate for difference
between left and middle strings.

The lengths (plural) does have an effect on stability.  Consider some pianos
with two inch top note speaking length with six inches from tuning pin to
speaking length and five inches from hitch pin to bridge pin.  How in hell
are we supposed to make this string stay in tune?  Long useless string parts
make our job most difficult, especially on older pianos with older strings.

There was some math informtion about this effect some years ago that I
unremember too well.  He also had a formulea for determining if I splice
would hold based upon tension and wire size that I also am unable to remember.

Have a nice week.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com