Elastic limits,

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 10:19:51 -0500

My teacher used to do it every once in a while on a note here and
there. Supposed to help if the string is jerkey in rendering, I
guess.  Beyond that I can't remember much as he used it so
infrequently, and never suggested I use it when showing me how to
tune.
	He would hook his thumb nail and move the string sideways, then
listen for the change if any, then give a test blow.  But only once
or twice on one every three or four pianos.  I have used it on much
rarer
occasion for a fuzzy unison, or twangy fifth, that doesn't respond
hammer manipulation fast enough, or if a test blow keeps knocking it
out.
	I was wondering if other tuners use or have heard of this procedure.
Richard Moody