Hammers (long)

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 23:42:49 +0000

> Date:          Mon, 01 Dec 1997 22:00:32 -0800
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> From:          Horace Greeley <hgreeley@leland.Stanford.EDU>
> Subject:       Re: Hammers (long)

Some 15 years ago I tuned for George Winston on several
recordings at Different Fur recording studio in San Francisco.
At the time and apparently now he was very interested in the
shift pedal and the differences in tone he might get.  We
actually ended up taking out the stop screw in the Yamaha C7 we
were using so he might have "all possible expression" available.
Yes I warned him of double notes but he apparently had no
problems. I remember sometime later when another younger,
hungrier technician, who had acquired the account, called up all
worried about the back of the key lifting the neighboring damper
lever.  I told him that you either have a problem or you don't.
Don't try to conjure up one.  George was a pioneer of the "new
age" music movement like it or not.

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> Best.
>
> Horace
>
> P.S. - I've worked with George Winston for nearly
> 20 years, in studios, and in more concert venues than
> I care to think about.  Whether one likes his music
> or not is inconsequential.  George is a serious
> professional artist who demands from those around
> him no more than he asks of himself, the best they
> can offer.  He fully understands where the piano,
> the technician, and he intersect; who is responsible
> for what, and what it is reasonable to expect from a
> given situation.  George is a consummate gentleman,
> he is strongly committed to arts education, as well as
> to a variety of social causes.  His contract rider was
> developed with the input of several technicians, over
> a period of time, as it became clear that that was the
> only way him to get consistently prepared instruments.
>
> hg
> Horace Greeley
>
> Systems Analyst/Engineer
> Controller's Office