Soundboard Refinishing Query

Peter KESTENS KESTENS.P@Debcom.be
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 11:16:52 +0100

't MUZIEKINSTRUMENTENATELIER
PETER KESTENS
BELGIUM
KESTENS.P@DEBCOM.BE
-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: BSimon1234@aol.com <BSimon1234@aol.com>
Aan: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Datum: zondag 30 november 1997 3:31
Onderwerp: Soundboard Refinishing Query

>I am rebuilding a piano which has a particularly blotchy soundboard,
>discolored in some areas and like new  where the decal was applied.  I have
>shimmed it, scraped it, sanded at it, and still - when tested to see what
it
>will look like refinished in clear lacquer, just wettting it with thinner,
> it will look very uneven and awful.
>
>I don't want to paint it and fake grain it, but am looking for suggestions
>for finishing it. I was thinking of putting a little opaque material into
the
>lacquer to make it semi-opaque and hide the worst of the discolorations
>without covering the grain completely. I experimented with some light
stains
>without much luck.
>
>This problem cannot be new. Any suggestions that I might use?
>
>Thanks
>Bill Simon
>Phoenix

Bill,

Try to color your soundboard first with coffee(!), let dry it overnight and
then do your finishing touch.  I always do color shim repairs this way when
restorating a soundboard.
I think I would color the most clear areas first and then, after drying,
would applique a second coat for the whole soundboard.
Good luck.
Peter