Janssen spinet bridge

Wed, 03 Dec 1997 07:55:28 -0800

Wally, Del, et al,

I couldn't agree more with Del.

My non-engineering observation is that this kind of
design seems, consistently, to have more to do with
getting a greater string length than it does with
soundboard flexibility.  In either case, the instrument
is usually too short to worry about.

Best.

Horace

At 09:49 PM 12/2/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Gregory Torres wrote:
>
>> Wally:
>>
>> The reason the bass bridge is on a "shelf" is  so it contacts the
soundboard
>> in a more flexible part and improves the tone (somewhat)
>>
>> Good luck
>> Greg Torres
>>
>> ------------------------
>
>I agree that the most common reason for placing the bass bridge (and
occasionally the low end of the tenor bridge) is to
>place the contact point on a more flexible part of the bridge. I disagree
that this practice improves the tone. They tend to
>be so flexible that they end up functioning as an energy absorber. It is a
rare piano that can't better be designed without
>one of these aberrations.
>
>-- ddf

Horace Greeley

Systems Analyst/Engineer