Organ key needed

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 03 Dec 1997 10:51:53 -0500

The most cost effective method is to glue the key back togather.

Remove the key on either side of the broken one.  Place the keys on a
flat work serface and work Titebond or PVC-E glue into the broken ends
andforce the parts togather, wipe any access glue.  Place the two side
ekys against to the repair to make certain they key is straight the of
the proper length.  Allow to dry.

Remove any excess glue, in the balance hole or the sides.  This is not a
real strong joint because of endgrain so it needs reinforcement.

I like to use 1 1/2" banding veneer with hot melt glue.  This veneer is
thinner than regular veneer so it works best, taking up less room
between keys.

Iron this veneer onto the sides of the repaired key, making sure there
is clearance with its neighbors.  If needful you can sand some of the
wood off the repaired key and the adjacent keys.

When you are finished the repair is complete and the key can be played
immediately.

If you have any questions please contact me.

	Newton
	nhunt@jagat.com