Strip muting problem

Wed, 03 Dec 1997 11:16:32 -0800

Jerry,

At 11:07 AM 12/3/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I'm still a novice tuner, and I do a lot of checks, which is difficult,
>at best, using just the rubber mutes. And I don't like the amount of
>mute juggling it takes to tune with just the rubber mutes.

OK, so take a slightly different tack.

Use sufficient mutes to cover an entire octave for
your basic temperament.  There's always a way to
do this...odd/reverse angles, "stacked" mutes (ugly
but works).

With pianos like you are describing, there really isn't
a "right" way, there are different ways that work better,
or worse, for you.  With those old Wurlitzers, (I actually
was an apprentice, too) I found that I could sort of
use the strip for 6 or 7 unisons, if I staggered where
the felt was inserted between them, then use wedges
for the rest.  Also used a Papps mute a good deal
on those.

On some instruments, there is simply no easy way
to do much of anything.

Horace

Horace Greeley

Systems Analyst/Engineer