Bent Action Rail

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 03 Dec 1997 23:00:05

At 08:45 PM 12/3/97 -0800, you wrote:
> parts are screwed to it.  Obviously,
>if I have to remove the parts to clamp the rail to straighten it, I
>might as well replace it.  Thanks for any input.
>	Paul McCloud, RPT
>	San Diego, CA
>
>Greetings Paul,
                 In the last paragraph you aswered your own question. You
will spend a heck of a lot of time messing with that extruded aluminum
trying to get it straight, and un-twisted, it will be way faster to replace
the rail, and you will get paid for your efforts, and the instrument will
reg. to specs afterwards.
  Yamaha's machine tolerances are the tightest in the industry that I have
seen, so you should have very few problems, You might also consider
replacing the damper lift bushing clips while you are at it, as they are
sometimes bent in the factory to regulate the dampers, the metal will not
usually stand much bending. Check the lift rod for alignment.  Because the
rail bent, either, the bushing clips are shot or the hangers are damaged.
  This sounds like an Insurance claim, so the customer should be reimbursed.
Allow 8 to 12 hours to do the complete job. Refitting the dampers will be
the hardest part to regulate.
  Have fun, get paid.
Regards. Roger
Roger Jolly