Bent Action Rail

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 09:01:50 EST

>tonight I discovered that the action rail is bent.  The dampers don't
>work in the center of the piano, since they are too far from the
>strings.  This particular action doesn't have a center action bracket
>(which would have saved the action from damage). I am not sure whether
>to try just bending the rail back, or to recommend replacement.  If I
>replace the rail, I am not sure how much to estimate, since there may be
>a lot of regulating to do.  If I bend it, I'm not sure where or how to
>hold the rail, since all the action parts are screwed to it.  Obviously,
>if I have to remove the parts to clamp the rail to straighten it, I
>might as well replace it.  Thanks for any input.
>	Paul McCloud, RPT
>	San Diego, CA

I would recommend replacing the rail. Call Yamaha and ask how much they cost,
and how long it will take to get one. If you use the same action parts, the
regulation should not be much of a problem, since the rail will be the same
size as the original. It would seem that most of your time will be spent
taking the parts off the old rail, and putting them back on the new one. Some
regulation will need to be done, but not as much as you might think.

Good luck, and let us know how it went.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis