Tuning sequence (was Re: Strip muting problem)

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 09:00:02 +0000

Brad Smith wrote:
<snip>
> ...BUT, you bring up an interesting subject. I'd like to know what
> tuning
> sequences people use and why...<snip again>
Brad,
Thanks for the response. As far as tuning sequence, I strip from 88 down
to the tenor break, then use another strip down as far as it will go
(usually just about the bass break), tune the temperament, then tune
below the temperament down to the tenor/bass break. Then I tune up from
the temp., all the way to 88, and start tuning unisons down, pulling the
strip as I go (tune right string, pull strip, tune left string...)When I
get to the end of the stripped tenor, I use a single mute to tune down
to the the end, tuning the right string, move the mute to the next
bicord, and tune the left string.
As to why: that's the way I was taught in the Randy Potter course. And I
haven't noticed any instability problems.