old clunkers

Dan M. Hallett, Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 15:38:46 -0500

> > From: Leslie W Bartlett <lesbart@juno.com>
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: old clunkers
> > Date: Wednesday, December 03, 1997 10:29 PM

> > I'd appreciate some feedback, though this might also fan some flames.
> > Oh, well, another chance to have FUN.
> >
> > I went to a home with a 1913 PSO, all original, a gutted player.  Bass
> > strings were simply beyond any twisting-redemption. Dampers shot, hammers
> > shot, tuning pins marginal, piano 75 cents flat. Nothing about the piano
> > suggested it warranted major money invested.  Keys weren't level, and
> > other regulation was out.
> >
> > A small child is using it for lessons. The family is "strapped" for
> > money, though the live in a home costing about twice what mine is
> > worth.........  Lovely solid wood floors, etc.....  Husband is disabled,
> > but has a picture on the mantle- just him and George Bush, both husband
> > and wife work.
> >
> > I told them I really did not want to tune it because 1) it might not
> > hold, and 2) a young child is most sensitive to developmental harm if
> > s/he hears bad sounds and pitches, and 3) things could start breaking.
> > My thought was to suggest renting-to-own at a local store, the dealer
> > whom I trus
> >
> > How do other techs deal with this kind of thing?  A local tech, who won't
> > even look at these things, gave them my name.  They spent  $75.00 plus
> > moving expenses on it..
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > Leslie
> > lesbart@juno.com
> > "I've given up my search for truth. I'm now looking for a fairy
> > godmother."

Leslie:

I agree with what you say.
On the subject of 'I can't hear the difference' my reply is that the
human ear quickly takes whatever sound is presented and accepts it as
normal. When an intrument is at A-440 consistently, they will know very
soon when it goes out of tune.
When they demur, I tell them the story of an automobile mechanic who
said he couldn't tell when his daughter's piano was out of tune. I asked
if he could hear the difference of correctly adjusted engine and one
that needed adjusted. Of course he could. I couldn't. It all depended on
what we trained our ears to hear. Once a customer realizes that, they
usually have other examples to contribute.
The point gets across and I've heard them explain this to other people
whodrop by when I'm tuning.
Works for me.
Dan Hallett, Jr. RPT
Hallett's Piano Service