Bench Construction Part V

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 16:48:31 -0600

	If all is done correctly up till now you are ready to attach the lid.  If
you are building the bench with the rabbeted bottom place the lid face down
on you padded workbench.  Take your bench carcass assembled on the floor
and determine how far the top hinges are going to be from the ends of the
bench.  I normally use 2-1/2" by 2" brass hinges for the lid.  Again I get
most of my hardware from Woodworkers Supply.  Attach the hinges to the top
edge of the rail on your bench.  When completed turn the bench upside down
on top of the underside of the lid.  Measure on all four sides to place the
carcass in the middle of the lid.  Normally there is about an 1" or so
overlap on all sides but you can vary it as you like.  I use an adjustable
square to make sure I am equal all the way around.  I then take masking
tape and lay at the edges and side of the bead on the hinge where it rests
on the lid.  That places marks on three side of the hinge so you have a
guide to drill your hole into the lid.  When you are sure it is where you
want it remove the carcass and hinges from the carcass and place the hinge
inside you marking on the masking tape so you can drill your hinge holes
and do so.  Attach the lid to the carcass and turn the whole assembly
upside down on your padded workbench.  Now is when you are going to install
the lid travel support.  I get mine from Schaff by the dozens.  When you
have it figured out where it attaches go ahead and drill your holes and
attach and hook up to see if the lid will travel up and close without the
end of the support going lower than the bench bottom.  This is tricky.  The
less the lid opens the more clearance you will have on the support arm.
Notice that we are stopping here by not attaching the bottom.  You will do
that after getting your finish on the bench.
	If you have built the bench with floating tenons this is the part where it
becomes more difficult to finish.
James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com