Bench Construction Part VI

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 16:49:22 -0600

	Now you get to take everything apart you possibly can.  The more parts you
can get the bench into the more control you will have on applying the
finish.  Cover the hanger bolts on your legs with masking tape so you don't
mess up the threads.
	I use strictly water borne finishes all the way down the grain filler and
stain.  I use a HVLP unit but you can brush it on if you are in no hurry.
With each new color I finish with I make a sample on a part of odd bench
rail to keep as what the ingredients were used to come up with the color
and finish so I have a sample to show my clients so they can get an idea of
what color and finish they would like on their new bench.  I carry them in
the truck with me as well as photographs of most of the benches I have
built so I sort of have a portfolio with me at all times.
	 What ever finish method you choose make it a good finish.  I do a closed
pore rubbed finish on all benches and I finish all parts of the bench
(underneath and insides included) with closed pore and rubbed.  This is
what will set your work apart from the commercial bench companies and
impress your clients with your thoroughness.  Before final rub I wait at
least 48 hours to make sure the finish is hard enough to rub well.  The
harder the top coat of finish the harder it will be to rub out but also the
more durable and long lasting the look.
	 You are not doing this for a great profit.  You are doing this as a
service, building something that your client cannot buy anywhere else.
Each of my benches have a piece of my life in them as it takes me about 1
month to go from selling the bench to delivering it.
	Have a great time being creative!
James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com