Strip muting problem

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 20:39:52 EST

<< Jerry,

 Why not just use one of two rubber mutes?

 From a certain point of view, if you have your
 temperament in hand, the strip is superfluous.

 This isn't intended flippantly, I've tuned with
 just two mutes off and on for years.  It should
 really be a piece of cake (for a careful worker).

 Many of the mid-60's Wurlitzers had this, among
 other, interesting design characteristic.

 Good luck.

I am not sure I exactly on the initial train of your conversation but I will
add my two cents here. Except for the temperament, if you want to use 2 rubber
mutes, it is perfectly fine.  However, I strip mute the entire piano, and
outside the temperament I tune the octave and unison as I go up or down,
removing the strip as I go.  For example, going right,  tune middle string,
then the left, middle string of the next note, then the right string of the
previous note.  I like this pattern and for pitch raise, it works very well
because you do less overpull of the unisons.

It is much faster than moving mutes around and you maintain good stability as
well.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR