Imported used pianos

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 21:23:53 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Roger Jolly wrote:

> The super dry specs for our climate would give another type
> of problem in other destinations, (e.g. Pressure ridges in sound boards
> etc.)

Hi, Roger.

I thoroughly enjoy your contributions to Pianotech, but someone has to
warn you about making inflammatory statements like the one above which
blatantly refers to the presence of pressure ridges in a soundboard as
a "problem". Oh-oh, you're treading on dangerous ground here. There are
some out there who will tell you that pressure ridges-- even if they are
present in the dead of winter, or in mid-summer, in a house that is air-
conditioned around the clock until if feels like Siberia during the "cold
season"--far from being a problem, or cause for concern, are actually a
 virtue and a "feature" of the very best soundboards. Further, "they"
will tell you that this is true even if the piano is brand new, or only a
few years old. I just wanted to help set things straight. Foolish me, I
too, used to think that if a soundboard felt like the back spine of a
Tyrannasaurus Rex, it indicated a problem, but fortunately "they" set
me--along with anyone else who might question this issue--straight on
the facts of this misconception on my part. Since I, like you, don't
want to get on any manufacturer's you-know-what-list, I definitely
will not mention Steinway's name here, but I think you can probably
guess whom I mean anyway, right?

All the best, but watch those inflammatory posts! :-)

Les Smith