Perfect Pitch Course

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 06 Dec 1997 23:40:31 -0800

Wallace Scherer wrote:

> I'm not a physicist, but I suppose that there is some correlation between
> light waves and sound waves as far as the range of them that is detected by
> our sight and sound organs (eyes and ears).

Not an exact correlation. Whereas the piano encompasses 7+ octaves and
the ear more than that (for some of us), the visible spectrum is only
about one octave.

I think it would work for color names to repeat every octave the same as
note and solfege names do. And instead of using the resistor/capacitor
color code, I think it would make sense to use the colors of the
rainbow: red-orange-yellow-green-blue-violet-________. Hmmmmmm. Maybe
the visible spectrum is less than an octave. You said 7700 - 4000
angstrom units. That's less than a 2:1 ratio so maybe we miss one of the
colors?

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA