Perfect Pitch, ET vs. WT, tone color

Gregory Torres tunapiana@adisfwb.com
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 01:53:25 -0600

Dear Glenn & List:

First and foremost I am a pianist & musician. And a piano technician.
I happen to have "perfect pitch", which actually is not a very good
description because "perfect pitch" should really be called "pitch memory".
It was discovered that I had it when I was 7 yrs old.

It is both a blessing and a curse to have perfect pitch.
It is mostly a blessing however.

I come within a couple of cents plus or minus when tested and most times
right on. It is a great thing to have especially when doing chipping, pitch
raises, and determining on the phone if the customers piano is going to need
a pitch raise or not. Gives them a chance to prepare for it.

As to tone "color", I don't think that is a good way to describe it at all.
Either you hear the pitch or you don't. I don't have any other analagy to
compare...I guess maybe like a photographic memory for pitch?

I believe that one can develope a good sense of pitch and even a "relative
pitch" but I have not met anyone or have heard of anyone actually learning
and developing perfect pitch.

As to hard work and practicing scales, arpeggios, theory and excercises...I
did not "slack"-I have done my share....

Warm Regards,
Greg Torres