Perfect Pitch, ET vs. WT, tone color

A440A A440A@aol.com
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 07:32:35 EST

David asks:
>If there was a way to use my SAT to tune Well Temperaments, I would do so
>more frequently.   Does
>anyone know of a way to quickly change an entire SAT generated tuning to
>enable one to tune WT?

yes,  just use your pitch adjustment function to alter any given note to suit
the desired temperament, and tune all of those notes by octaves with that
correction setting.  Then go to the next note and reset your sat.  I.e.,  for
a young,  set a 6 cent raise on a FAC tuning and tune all of the Bb, C, and F
notes. Then +4 cents for the G's and Eb's.  Etc.   This will give you any of
Jorgensens WT to within a cent.  Since you are raising more notes than
lowering,  the piano will often respond better if you raise all of the +6 cent
notes by an actual 6.5 or possibly 7 cents first.

>Also, does anyone have thoughts on whether or not it is ethical to tune a
piano for someone in WT instead in ET without telling them first?
    Ethical?  I don't think it is a question of ethics so much as how do you
want that customer to view you?  If you embarass somebody, you will lose the
tuning.  If they think you have not been honest, you have damaged your
reputation.  I wouldn't do it.
Regards,.
Ed