Yamaha GH1

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 11:08:52 +0000

> Date:          Sun, 07 Dec 1997 10:50:57 +0000
> From:          Bonifield/Poulson <bonifarm@oro.net>
> To:            pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject:       Yamaha GH1

I'm not sure what you will run into but I would like to recount
a recent experience.  I had a very good pianist with a Kawai who
decided to upgrade to a Feurich.  $50,000 which got for $25,000.
He had it serviced by the store technician who could really
"talk the talk".  My former customer decided to use the store
technician.  Some 6 years later I see him and ask how his new
piano was doing.  He told me he hardly played it because it was
so noisy.  I offered to come and take a look free of charge
because the Feurich is a well built instrument in my experience.
When I got there he just lightly slapped the keys down a bit and
the noise was very clacky.  He also said that the repetition
was very poor and he couldn't feel control via the key.  I
pulled the action and this is what I found:
#1...Pinning was about 12 swings
#2...The hammers were resting on the rail
#3...The jack was quite a bit back (towards the the hammer) from
the knuckle core and low in the repetition window.

I tried voicing the knuckle (under the leather in the core felt)
which changed the color of the click/clack but didn't eliminate.
I lowered the rest rail so the hammers were on the resting on
the jacks/repetitions.  I regulated the jack to the knuckle its
height in the window (circle of jacks) and low and behold the
click/clack was much better.  The pianist said "I definitely
want you to do that!"  So I simply regulated the jacks and
repetition tension and he called me the next day and said it was
a different piano and thanked me giving him his piano back...
I will be raising the checking height and repinning the hammer
flanges, regulating the blow distance etc.  By the way when I
tried repinning one of the flanges the bushing cloth had a
sticky, frictiony feel when I reemed.  This is a Renner action
and I suppose the cloth is graphited.  It was a bear to repin.
Any tips on repinning Renner flanges?  I use a tapered reamer
and that may be part of the problem although I have been using
it for years with no problems!

I wish I could tell that "tooner", "Don't talk the talk if you
can't walk the walk!"

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA