Morons and best strings

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Mon, 08 Dec 1997 07:13:46 -0800

Andre & Barrie,

I have been strip muting the entire piano, both grands and uprights for
years.  The process is tricky at the plate breaks and on uprights where
the last section of treble dampers are, but with practice takes no
longer to do than using rubber mutes.  The explanation is much longer
than doing it, so if anyone is interested, contact me directly and I'll
send you a copy.

I started doing this when I began having hearing loss from pounding in
the strings in practice rooms at the universities I service.  I put in
ear plugs while I pound in the center strings on the first time through
using a SAT then pull the plugs and tweak them up aurally on the next
pass and then I do unisons.

Sincerely,

Warren

--