pinblock drill size

BSimon1234 BSimon1234@aol.com
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 20:56:47 EST

In a message dated 12/8/97 12:25:07 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

<<Bill, I think your drill sizes are too big for this material.>>

The drill sizes I mentioned ARE way too big for this material. I wasn't
suggesting that they would work, only that there are a a lot of standard sized
drills out there that very by only a few thousandths of an inch in diameter,
and that one should consider metric dirlls as a possibility. You should select
the right size by testing with the drill to be used on the pinblock to be
used, not by looking at a list.

<<Way back before I started using Delignit, I used to drill these blocks at
1/4", .250. I've seen these blocks go from 200 in/lb to too loose to hold in
five years in school buildings heated with radiators. That's why I switched to
Delignit.>>

Been there, done that. I once bought some "pinblock" material that simply
could not be made to work. To get decent pin torque one had to drill so
undersized a hole, like 1/4", a heavy hammer was needed to drive them in, and
then the compression would destroy the lousy wood of the block. It was like
using balsa wood.

<<I double drill Delignit, .250 first pass. This clears out the bulk of the
chips, and the feed speed and generated heat isn't as critical. Then I drill
6.8mm on the second pass (could be 6.7 if necessary). Not much material
removed, not much heat generated, very uniform feel without much skill
involved (drill press setup, floated on air to move between pins).>>

I LOVE your method of drilling your pinblocks! It is twice the work and four
times better than any other method I have heard about. I would bet money that
it is worth doing.You must do an excellent job, especially with watching the
tuning pin diameters and suppliers so closely. It is really smart to put great
effort ( and money in the case of delignit) into what counts the most.

Bill Simon
Phoenix