polyester finish repair tips

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 08 Dec 1997 20:34:49 -0800

Guy:
	The Allied Industries polyester kit is available from Esquire Piano in
Los Angeles.  They also supply buffing adapters for machines designed as
bonnet buffers, the compounds for buffing, etc.  I use the Konig
polyester also.  Yamaha directs anyone who wants to repair their
polyester pianos to Esquire, which is nearby their plant in LA (Orange
County?).  I mentioned Surf shop, only to illustrate how one could get
polyester from a surfboard shop.  It's not a brand name.  I have found
that the polyester from Konig tends to be more brittle than other
types.  You can't use a buffing machine with Konig polyester, since it
tends to pull the edges away from the surrounding surface.  The other
types of poly you can use a buffing machine.  I like the Konig because
it is less viscous, and you can mix it without bubbles easier than with
the thicker types of poly.  And of course, it hardens faster.
	Thanks for the tips on using the clear poly.
	Paul McCloud, RPT
	San Diego, CA