Soundboard Thoughts

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:48:51 -0600

Hello Susan (and everybody else)

Have you or anyone else studied Paul G. Mehlin's ideas?  I've always thought that he
had been a violin maker in Germany, but got into piano design & manufacturing when
he came to the U.S.  I've only seen one Mehlin 9 ft. concert grand, but it did, in
fact, have the slanting soundboard and narrower treble bridge.  It also had a hole
in the sound board at end of the bass bridge.  We could never figure out if it was
supposed to be a "tone hole" like on a violin, or perhaps a drain since the board
was slanted.  Unfortunately, the piano was in pretty bad shape - it sounded
terrible!  Nobody had the guts to put out the money to rebuild it for fear that,
because of the odd design, it would still sound terrible.

I also wondered why Andre' replaced the ribs but not the board.  I've rebuilt
soundboards using the original ribs & board, but I thought if money permitted
replacement, replace the whole thing.  BTW, I always found it pretty easy to get the
ribs off - compared to getting the board out without tearing it up.

Danny