Samick hammer knuckles HARD!!

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 09 Dec 1997 11:15:08

At 12:03 AM 12/9/97 EST, you wrote:
>to Roger Jolly
>                   Just this very day, I replaced a set of knuckles on a
>Samick grand.
>I did not diagnose this problem,but got stuck with the work. I noticed the
>clacking coming from other parts of the action also. But I was wondering, if
>in the No 4 treatment, If the fabric softener treatment added to the alcohol
>would improve the results. Did you try this? If it worked, you could treat
the
>wippen heel felt, let-off dowel, and jack regulating button very quickly and
>achieve great noise reduction with a minimum of effort. What do you think??
>                                                           Theodore Mamel RPT
>                                                            Pittsburgh
Chapter
>Hi Theodore,
                The fabric softener sounds like a good idea. I'll try it on
a section on the next one. The steam was an easy winner for shop work.
 I routinely steam, wip cloth with a wet cloth and iron on these units,
then spray with teflon powder, it makes a big difference. The drop button
leather also tends to be too stiff in these models adding to the noise. I'm
not so sure if the felt and leather products are the real problem, or, the
glue wicking into the material.
  The over view of these actions is that there is an accumulation of many
things. that add to the clatter. If you have a day and a half, start with
carefully bedding the frame, work your way systematically through the hard
felt problems. shrink centre pin bushings as required. Tail hammers
correctly and remove some mass from the sides of the hammers.
  After careful regulation they can feel and respond very much like a Yamaha.
In fact after doing this work we find that, consumer choice is about 50-50.
There is a bass warmth thats attainable, that is not normally found on the
budget pianos. The  basic scale design and balance of these units is very
acceptable. With the value added work that we do, we increase the selling
price accordingly.
>Regards
Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan