Dampp-Chaser, Humidity

Gayle Mair damppchasr@brinet.com
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 09:08:10 -0500

tech@steinway.com wrote:

> In our opinion, if the room can be succesfully kept within the range of
40 to 55 % relative humidity, a Dampchaser is not necessary.

> Steinway and Sons suggests the use of the Dampchaser when the location
can not be controlled within these ranges.

> Mike Mohr
> Steinway factory, NYC At 09:57 AM 11/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hi:
> >
> >I hope the subscribers of this list don't mind a question from somebody
who is not a tuner or technician.

> >I own two Steinway grands: a model D less than a year old, and a model B
about two years old. My question relates to the necessity of using a Dampp
Chaser system.

> >On the model D, the dealer installed a Dampp Chaser system and it has
always concerned me that the long rods are very hot -- you can't even touch
them for more than a few seconds.

> >I brought this to the attention of the dealer's technician and he moved
them down a couple inches (thereby adding more holes to the piano
woodwork!).

> >But still they remain very hot.
> >
> >On the other hand, the Dampp Chaser wants a drink every week!  So it
seems that the system is fighting itself.

> >The final straw is that I just bought a couple hand-held hygrometers (I
got two different ones to, hopefully, make sure they were in the ballpark
with their humidity readings). In the room with the model D, the humidity
is consistently between 40% and 50%, which sounds good.

> >In a nutshell, is a Dampp chaser necessary in my scenario, and does it
appear to be malfunctioning since it is always very hot to the touch, yet
wants to be filled with water each week?

> >Thanks very much for your comments.
> >
> >Frank Leister
> >Mechanicsburg, PA

Dear Frank,

Let me explain the operation of the Dampp-Chaser humidity control system so
that you can decide for yourself whether or not you need it.

The humidistat installed with the system regulates the operation of the
humidifier and the dehumidifier(s).  The system is designed so that one of
these components is on all the time.  Either the humidifier will be on or
the dehumidifier(s) will be on.  There will never be a time when both are
on at the same time.  Likewise, there will never be a time when neither one
is on.  For example, the system will dehumidify until the humidistat senses
that the humidity level has dropped to 40% RH.  At that point the
dehumidifier turns off and the humidifier turns on.  It stays on until 47%
RH is reached, and then it is turned off and the dehumidifier comes on
again.  The system cycles between 40% RH and 47% RH and is quite effective
at maintaining a stable moisture content in the soundboard and in the other
piano parts.

Now the humidistat calibration points I've used in this example (40% and
47%) are not sacrosanct.  One humidistat may have calibration points of 42%
RH and 50% RH.  Those of another humidistat may be 38% RH and 44% RH.   50%
RH and 38% RH are the high and low limits of the thousands of humidistats
we make each year.  The maximum differential allowed is 9% RH.  The point I
am getting to here is the exact humidity limits are not terribly important
so long as they are between 38% RH and 50% RH and they are consistent day
after day, month after month.

In order for the dehumidifier(s) to be effective, heat has to be generated.
 The dehumidifier you describe is probably a 50 watt unit.  It is hot to
the touch.  It is 130 degrees Fahrenheit with a reasonable flow of air
moving around it.  It is slightly hotter with a poor air flow.  I don't
think I have ever heard of an installation with poor air flow so I suspect
you are feeling something that is about 130 degrees.

The fact that the dehumidifier(s) are hot and the humidifier is requiring
water simply says that the system is cycling.  This is good.  It will
continue to do this until the ambient humidity level either goes way up or
way down, and the humidifier or dehumidifier(s) run out of capability to
change the humidistat.  At this point the humidifier or dehumidifier(s)
remain on full time.  The system won't cycle until the ambient level
changes enough to put the humidity level within the capability of the
humidifier or dehumidifier(s).

Our quest with new products and modifications to old products is to
increase the humidification and dehumidification capability so that the
moisture content remains absolutely constant, irrespective of how high or
how low the humidity goes.

One of our very new systems for a vertical piano will maintain essentially
the same soundboard moisture content regardless how high or low the ambient
humidity gets.  We are close to doing the same for a grand piano.  A great
deal of time goes into research at Dampp-Chaser.

Please don't misinterpret the above.  All of our humidity control systems
reduce moisture content changes significantly.  The most recent
developments provide an even greater reduction in moisture content changes.
 I am emailing you three performance graphs that show soundboard moisture
content results at low and high humidity levels with several different
systems.  They are self explanatory.

(The Dampp-Chaser performance graphs are too large to post.  They are
available to anyone who is interested.  Email a request to us at
piano@dampp-chaser.com and we will forward them to you as .gif files.)

The last point I would like to address is the 40% RH to 50% RH maintained
in the room in which the Steinway D is located.  This is a great humidity
level.  If this is an inside room and you are truly maintaining this year
round, then I would be the first to say you don't need a piano humidity
control system.  Please note the caveat about this being an inside room.
This is important because if you are maintaining this in a room with an
outside wall, you are subjecting that wall to condensation within the wall
structure and subsequent deterioration.  Each one of the humidifier
manufacturers in the United States provides a warning to this effect
somewhere on their product.  The following are selected sections from April
Aire and Sears publications which are typical of these warnings.

April Aire - "While some humidity conditions may be ideal for comfort, they
are, in many cases, less ideal for other reasons.  An indoor relative
humidity of 60% may fulfill all the requirements for comfort, but it can
result in damage to walls, to furnishings, etc.  The fogging of windows is
usually an indication of too high relative humidity, and it must be
remembered that this same condensation is taking place inside walls and
other places vulnerable to damage by excessive moisture.  It is therefore
necessary to set safe limits of indoor relative humidity levels to receive
the maximum benefits from correct humidity, without making the structure
itself susceptible to damage.  It is recommended that Temperature Humidity
Table II be followed to insure these benefits."

Table II

Outside Temperature (degrees F)		Recommended RH
		+40				45%
		+30				40%
		+20				35%
		+10				30%
		   0				25%
		-10				20%
		-20				15%

Sears - "In order to determine the safe relative humidity for homes exposed
to various low outside temperatures, the National Environmental Systems
Contractors Association conducted tests and published recommended humidity
levels for various outdoor temperatures.  These are shown in the chart
(same chart as Chart II, above).  These levels help prevent damage to your
home such as water running down the walls or even building up inside the
walls."

Research Products Corporation, the parent company of April Aire, devotes
two pages to this in their very excellent 12-page booklet, The Story of
Humidity.

Now how do I square this position with that of Mike Mohr?  Mike provides
the caveat "if the room can be successfully kept within the range of 40 to
55% relative humidity, a Dampp-Chaser is not necessary".  The operative
word is successfully.

I would not try keeping a house in Mechanicsburg, PA at these levels during
the kind of winter you folks get up north.

Bob Mair
Dampp-Chaser Electronics Corp.
Hendersonville NC
damppchasr@brinet.com

> > >Dear Frank,
> > >
> > >Scientific study carried out at the CAL Lab at the Smithsonian
Institution has measured the effects of temperature and relative humidity
on furniture.  There findings have established that a range of RH between
40% and 60% should be maintained, and that it is most
important to keep the RH constant, even if it is slightly above or below
the recommended levels.

> > >Personally, I follow the advise that it is better to control the room
RH, and that you should be more concerned about too little moisture, than
too much.

> > >I have not seen any independent scientific testing that proves the
Damp Chasers actually control the moisture content of the wood in pianos.
I invite anyone with evidence to present it.

> > >Ken Eschete, RPT
> > >Professional Associate - American Institute of > > >Conservators
(AIC)
> > >keschete@bellsouth.com

Dear Ken,

I'm not as young as I once was and my memory is not as good, so please
excuse my failure with names and other details.

In 1987 and 1988, Dampp-Chaser spent a sizable number of hours developing a
humidity control system for museum cases.  This was a reasonably
sophisticated unit with the condensation produced through a thermo electric
module.  We developed a pretty decent unit and then did market research.
This procedure may seem backwards, but not so much as one might expect.  At
any rate I came away from discussions with conservators at a number of
institutions, including the Richmond (VA) Museum of Art and the Washington
Museum of Natural History, with the conclusion that their space
requirements were too limiting and there was too little money available.
At this point we gave up on this product as having very limited commercial
potential.  I relate this to give you some background.

During the period of this activity I attended two conventions, one in New
Orleans, the other Cincinnati.  I believe they were both American Institute
of Conservators conventions.  A paper was presented at the one in
Cincinnati by a highly respected conservator.  It dealt with humidity
control within museums, and I truly wish I could remember more of the
details, but one of the things that really stood out about that convention
was his description of very poor humidity control in a private museum in
Boston.  A significant part of the museum was glass walled.  His slides
showed considerable condensation on these glass walls with the point being
that a different philosophy toward humidity control would have to come
forth if the building that housed this museum was going to last.  Now I
can't begin to remember the specific humidity levels described, but I can
develop them easily and say that in Boston with temperature levels dropping
to the teens and in some cases less, any RH level above 30% is going to
cause problems.

Your answer to Frank Leister states that you follow the advice that it is
better to control the room and that the Smithsonian study says that the
best level is 40% to 60%.  By inference, you would control the room
environment to 40% to 60%.  I suggest that this is not a good practice
where the outside temperature stays below 30 degrees Fahrenheit for any
significant period of time.  Please review the information I supplied to
Frank (above) relative to that supplied by furnace humidifier
manufacturers.  This might be helpful.

I've also emailed you performance graphs which show the effectiveness of
various Dampp-Chaser piano humidity control systems.  These show soundboard
moisture content at 72% RH and 20% RH for two situations.  One is without
humidity control; the other shows protection with various Dampp-Chaser
systems.  These graphs are for our internal use.  We use this information
for direction, so that we can know when we have made an improvement.  We
don't generally promote the product through use of these graphs, but I
certainly don't mind using them to pass information along.

scheduled shortly after the first of the year with Professor M. W. Kelly,
School of Forest Resources, North Carolina State University.

Bob Mair, Engineer