Soundboard Thoughts

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 08 Dec 1997 20:13:22

At 06:21 PM 12/8/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Interesting thought. Might change the frequency response on one side enough
>to not cancel the other and kill the tone.
>
>Observation: Even if this minimized or canceled the immediate tone problems
>in that area, there would still be the problem of torque with humidity
>changes. I think this is what drives the board flat at this point far faster
>than it flattens elsewhere. Sort of a "saddle" effect, with the killer
>octave at the low point of the curve. I think both the tone problems and
>early failure in this area are from the same problem. Tag!
>
>Ron
>
>At 11:11 AM 12/7/97 -0800, you wrote:
>>Curiosity aroused:
>>
>>The "killer octave" has equal lengths of rib fore and aft of the bridge, and
>>the tone has trouble there. Has anyone ever tried making the ribs the same
>>length fore and aft, but making them much lighter and more flexible on one
>>side than on the other?
>>
>>What fun ... reminds me of that great string seating thread.
>>
>>Susan
>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>

> Ron Nossaman
>
>Greetings All,
                I seem to recall reading some where that ribs are tuned by
some manufacturers in this area, by tapping with a mallet, and are then
sanded or shaved to a desired pitch to help smooth out tone quality in this
section.
I'm not sure of my facts, maybe Del would respond, or Jim Coleman Sr. as I
also think I saw this done in the Baldwin Cincinnati grand plant. Now that
was a couple of years ago. But I would be interested to know the relevance.
Regards Roger.

Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan
Dept. of Music.