Another Chickering

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 15:37:42 -0600

I just finished one a month ago.  Same age.  Yes they are unique.  I asked
on the list and got several suggestions.  I believe I saved them all.  You
may want to check the archives.
The block has two flanges to fit, is machine screwed to the plate.  The
action has brass flanges throughout.  I used Abel Light hammers from Wally
Brooks.  E-mail me if you have specific questions.  If you use Internet
Explorer send it High Priority.  Good luck.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net

----------
> From: Zen Reinhardt <diskladame@provide.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Another Chickering
> Date: Tuesday, December 09, 1997 7:45 AM
>
> Hello List!
>
> "While you're here ... could you go and have a look at my boyfriend's
piano
> to see if it is worth working on?"  (This was Thanksgiving, I was 300
miles
> from home and I hadn't bothered bringing any tools.)
>
> What I saw was a Chickering 'Quarter-Grand' serial number 123675, length
> 5'3".  It had received only minimal maintenance despite heavy use.  Parts
> were very worn, out of regulation, but not broken.  (I'll provide further
> details upon request so I won't bore everybody on this list.)
>
> My questions are:
>
> Has anybody had experience rebuilding one of these critters?  What were
> some of the challenges encountered?  Were there problems restoring
> (rebushing etc.) action parts or are there suitable replacement parts
> available?  (I'm well aware that Chickering was quite the innovator.)
When
> all was said and done, did you feel the results were worth the effort?
Or,