Impact tuning hammer

Brad Smith bsmith006@sprintmail.com
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 03:00:46 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith McGavern <kam544@ionet.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Tuesday, December 09, 1997 9:25 AM
Subject: Re: Impact tuning hammer

>>Thanks Keith. After this information I will buy one to me...
>>ROGERIO CUNHA - Rio de Janeiro
>>
>>>For extremely tight tuning pin situations I have the 2lb handle Hale
tuning
>>>lever once sold by the now defunct Tuners Supply Company...
>
>Just to be certain you did not misunderstand me, Rogerio, the Hale tuning
>lever with the 2lb handle that I mentioned is *not* a impact tuning lever.
>It was specifically designed for speed tuning on grand pianos.
>
>Currently, I don't know of any supplier that makes it or a copy of it.  If
>I recall correctly, American Piano Supply Company bought Tuners Supply
>Company's remaining inventory.
>
>Keith A. McGavern
>kam544@ionet.net
>Registered Piano Technician
>Oklahoma Chapter 731
>Piano Technicians Guild
>USA

Hi Keith and Rogerio,
The Hale Speed Tuning Hammer is available through
American Piano Supply Co.
part # 16458.

I like it for grands and verticals. The extra weight allows you to move
quickly to the next tuning pin by letting it 'pivot' on your finger. The
weight
tips the handle down.  I agree it would be terrible to drop it while tuning!
(I, of course, would not know first hand about such things ;)
I have considered creating some kind of loop to attach it to my wrist just
in
case I lose my grip.
Regards,
Brad Smith, RPT