Old stored Steck

Brad Smith bsmith006@sprintmail.com
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 03:13:11 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: RptBob1 <RptBob1@aol.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Tuesday, December 09, 1997 10:10 AM
Subject: Old stored Steck

>Dear List:
>
>A customer of mine called today for an opinion regarding a 1934 Steck small
>grand that had been in storage for over ten years in an unheated storage
area.

>This piano has "sentimental" value and he wanted my opinion on moving it
from
>Boston to Cleveland.  More information: he noted rust around the tuning
pins
>and bridge hitch pins.   The area it was stored in was similar to a
garage-not
>attached to a house.
>
>I already gave him my opinion, but then remembered how helpful this list
has
>been, and thought it would be good to relay to him some opinions from our
>international field of experts.
>
>Opinions please:
>
>Bob Bergantino,RPT
>South Euclid, Ohio

Hi Bob,
The rust created in Boston is quite valuable ;)   Who could put a value on
such 'historic'
corrosion?
>From what you post, I would prepare them for the worst, I mean your best,
rebuild job.
Have them make a decision based on a worst case scenario.  Also, we can't be
sure
that the condition we find in Boston, will be the condition it arrives in.
The idea of getting a local tech to give you some facts is a good one.  If
you need referrals, just ask.

Brad Smith, RPT