Soundboard Thoughts

Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:30:55 -0800

Danny,

The key is impedance, as you note.

I'm not sure I've ever heard a console that didn't
have room for tonal (or almost any other) improvement.

One of the seminal studies on this kind of thing had
nothing to do with pianos (surprise), but dealt with the
vibration of steel plates in manufacturing applications.

In that study, rather than add external mass, the thickness
of the plates was varied...

I'm not a physicist, either, but extrapolate that, if we
consider the board/ribs/case/superstructure as a dynamic
unit, then changes that we make in/to individual components
will change (however miniscually) the entire structure.
In view of the range and domain of variables in the structure
of even a single, given piano, the improvements
and/or degradations of performance probably have as
much to do with the experience of the technician doing
the work as to pure reductive analysis.

More later, perhaps.

Best.

Horace