A final thought on ribs

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Wed, 10 Dec 97 21:58:32 -0000

>Danny Moore wrote:
>
>>OK, I can accept that, but why "new" ribs on an old board?  If the board
>>was truly a beautiful sounding board, it was a result of the whole thing,
>>including ribs.  This logic was why our teacher taught us to remove the
>>board, cook the humidity out of it, and glue the original ribs back on
>>in the facory location.  This restores the crown without changing any of
>>the original characteristics.  Of course one would have to be careful not
>>to destroy the angle of the inner rim, and (as a result of many years) the
>>rebuilt board will be slightly smaller than the rim, so the "gap"
>>between the board and the rim must be filled (we used epoxy).

André writes back:

Dear Colleagues,
One thing I forgot to mention:
It would *probably* be better to have "old" wood for ribbing old boards.
However, old wood is hard to get and very expensive, but I do prefer seasoned wood in this case.
A final thought.....

Friendly greetings from :

CONCERT PIANO SERVICE
André Oorebeek