Soundboard Thoughts

Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:27:58 -0800

Barrie,

This is precisely why this is so important to do.

The U.S. patent laws are quite different.  One patent
does not cover each individual aspect of a given
design (necessarily, anyway).  A very great deal
depends on the technical writing skill of the
inventor/patent attorney.

Further, there have been several (including one
quite major) fires at the U.S. Patent office.  The
date of the main one (1873?) escapes me, but
patents held prior to that are extremely difficult
to document now.  It's not that anyone particularly
cares about potential royalty income, the issues
have to do with the kind of research we do re:
old stuff.

Any chance of getting one of the houses there
to underwrite part of your work?

This is great stuff.

Best.

Horace