Old stored Steck

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:30:45 EST

<< A customer of mine called today for an opinion regarding a 1934 Steck small
 grand that had been in storage for over ten years in an unheated storage
area.

 This piano has "sentimental" value and he wanted my opinion on moving it from
 Boston to Cleveland.  More information: he noted rust around the tuning pins
 and bridge hitch pins.   The area it was stored in was similar to a garage-
not
 attached to a house.

 I already gave him my opinion, but then remembered how helpful this list has
 been, and thought it would be good to relay to him some opinions from our
 international field of experts.

 Opinions please:

 Bob Bergantino,RPT >>

This piano needs to be rebuilt, with at least a new pin block and strings, and
maybe even a new soundboard.  Depending on the condition of the action,that
should probably be replaced also. The finish is a toss up. If they accept the
piano in its current condition, it will be ok.

Is it worth it? Dollar for dollar, they can buy a new piano for a little more
than the cost of restoring it. But because it has sentimental value, the piano
would be worth restoring.

WIllem Blees RPT
St. Louis