Korean Piano Prepping, was Samick hammer knuckles HARD!!

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 09:41:44 -0700

Brad Smith wrote:

> I have found jack pins too tight, dampers 'leaking', ear piercing tone,
> sluggish keys,
> squeaking pedals, misaligned, leg bolts interferring with key frame, too
> tight tuning pins, and actions that sound like .....(what's that old movie
> where the guy keeps talking
> about a new machine that goes..."..pocketa, pocketa, pocketa, pocketa...")

Dear Brad & List:

I know exactly what this tale is about. I formerly worked for a large
dealer in the mid-west who, among the Steinways and Kawais, also carried
the Kohler & Campbell line of the Samick pianos for their budget-minded
customers. Generally I found the prep of the uprights pretty basic,
though we did uncrate one once that had two major cracks in the
soundboard. We promptly notified Samick and they agreed to take it back.

I did have some pretty bad experiences with some of the new grands,
however. Once we received a new micro-sized grand (I beleive it was
model SKG-430), which was in the WORST state I have ever seen a new
piano come from the factory. I concluded that it MUST have been built
4:55 PM on a Friday when all the Koreans where looking forward to their
weekend.

The first thing I noticed was that the keyboard was a complete wavey
ocean. Upon playing it I then discovered that there wasn't a single note
in the scale that was regulated properly; not even close. Then I
observed that the whole piano sort of rocked a bit more than it should.
This lead me to the discovery of a leg that was barely glued together at
the top joint and was threatening to collapes. Further inspection
reveild that the pin-block was so poorly fit that it never made contact
with the plate flange anywhere in the piano, with a gap of about a 1/4"
all the way across. The entire string tension was being held by the
screws holding the block to the plate. Furthermore, the dampers were
"screwed-up" to say the least, and there were multiple squeaks in the
pedals.

To make a long story short, this piano was "exceptionally" bad, but in
all fairness I have to say that I had also uncrated some units which
were pretty decent and even fairly well in tune. Likewise I have found
every variation in between. I think the best way to summarize this is to
say that the only thing consistant about these instruments is
inconsistancy. They are what they are, and if a dealer agrees to carry
the line they had better expect some occasional bad ones.

It is of course very easy to criticize these things, and there are
multiple technical problems that we can discuss. The fact of the mater
is the instruments are being offered at a price far below most every
other manufacturer, and you get what you pay for. Pesonally I am very
hesitant to endorse them when clients ask my opinion. I am quick to
suggest that they spend a just a little more money and get something
better. As long as there is a market for them, however, they will
continue to be produced. It seems that there are more and more of these
"cheep" kind of pianos being built today, and with continuously
expanding production in China, I fear we can expect to see more. Another
perspective to consider, however: The more the market is flooded with
these "peeanoz", the better the outlook for the rebuilding business of
better quality old instuments.

Just one guys opinon.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Staff tech, Northern Arizona U.