Soundboard Thoughts (Kind of long, Part II)

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:32:02

>And, once again, I ramble.
>
>Del

Hi Del,
        Keep rambling, it's so imformative. Restoring any piano to it's
original glory! with just sound board work?
 I'm sceptical on this. Whilst agreeing with all your comments on sound
board technology, heck you are the master in this area. But how can we even
begin to think, that we can ever imagine what the sound was like, with out
new strings and cold pressed hammers. 80yr old wire has lost its elasticity
period! The hammer also has lost it's elasticity. The variables of these
two factors can not be ignored as the wire will effect sustain time or
singing quality, and the hammer will effect the ratio of harmonic
development. I am assuming that the strings have been removed to do the
major sound board work that is under discussion, therefore where did the
improvment come from? the board. the wire, the combination of the two.
  Do you give private tuition on sound board design, and modification.
Regards Roger.

Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan
Dept. of Music.