Soundboard Thoughts (Kind of long, Part II)

Thu, 11 Dec 1997 23:01:09 -0800

Roger,

I should have added that I have also taught a number of PTG Convention and Conference classes on the subject of how
soundboards work. These have been listed under a number of titles including several under what I call the "Piano Sound
Series." These include:
    "Troubleshooting the Soundboard by Ear"  (Analyzing piano tone problems
        that are caused by the soundboard.)
    "Soundboard Crown -- What is it & Why Is It There?"  (What is soundboard
        crown? How did it get there? Why is it needed? Where does it go?)
    "Downbearing -- Theory & Practice"  (The above, with more emphasis on
        theory.)
Some of the other classes I've done on soundboards include
    "Soundboard Maladies -- Are Soundboards All They're Cracked Up To Be?
        (The subject of the current Journal series.)
    "How The Piano Works -- From the Forest to the Concert Hall  (The
        soundboard from the tree through to the soundboard. Also the supporting
        structure -- the rim, belly rail, etc.) Actually I'm doing this class at
        the California State conference early next year.
    "Making a Silk Purse Out Of A Sow's Ear"  (This class actually does cover
        some of the modifications that we make to piano soundboards during
        our redesign process.)
    "Voicing the Piano Soundboard"  (A general class on how soundboards work
        and how soundboard performance is affected by the rim, plate, stringing
        scale, etc.)
    "Taming the Killer Octave"  (A class that analysis why we have so much
        trouble from the killer octave and above.)
    "The Voice of the Piano"  (A general purpose soundboard performance class.)

Sadly, there hasn't been much call for classes of this type for several years. The classes are mostly considered to be "too
advanced," or not of enough "general interest," or "not practical enough" for the Technical Institute. Ah, well, maybe
someday these subjects will, once again, be considered suitable for study by piano technicians.

Regards,

Del