Shop Setup report

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 07:48:05 +0000

> >> From: Warren Fisher <fish@communique.net>
> >> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> >> Subject: Shop Setup report
> >> Date: Wednesday, December 10, 1997 9:51 AM
> >>
> >> Well Folks,
> >>
> >> With Dick and I both doing all we can in our spare time (what there is
> >> at this time of the year), we've got the walls and rafters up and
> >> paneling over the back wall so we can install the floor to ceiling
> >> storage shelves we need to get all the junk out of the middle of the
> >> shop.  I put in the electrical outlets yesterday and will be running the
> >> lines to the circuit breaker box today.  Incidentally, if any of you
> >> have any neat ideas about where to put outlets, I really would like to
> >> hear about them!
> >>
> >> Since our shop is in a large area with 15 foot ceilings and is only 9
> >> feet to the tops of the rafters, we are going to put a large storage
> >> area on top with a ladder on the outside for access so we don't have to
> >> allow for attic stairs inside the shop!
> >>
> >> We will have a 22 foot long work bench along the left wall which will be
> >> divided into 3 segments, 2 at 35" for standing and the other at 30" for
> >> sitting.  One of the 35's will have wheels on the back and handles on
> >> the front so it can be pulled into the center of the shop if needed.
> >>
> >> For the rest of the walls, I found a salvage place selling 7/16" 4X8
> >> Chipboard for $5 a sheet and got enough to finish the job. That's all I
> >> have time for today.
> >>
> >> Merry Christmas everyone!

	Warren,

	Two tips, put every bench and large object you can on some sort of
caster assembly that can be moved, dragged or pushed around. Makes
for incredibly flexible configurations of equipment as you are doing
a project, and also helps to stuff more than the theoretical maximum
number of pianos in the shop.
	And number two, get a decent stereo setup with a remote mute
function for when the phone rings. Don't lose the remote, either!

	Regards, and good luck!

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG
atonal@planet.eon.net