Korean Piano Prepping, was Samick hammer knuckles HARD!!

Brad Smith bsmith006@sprintmail.com
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 06:45:05 -0500

Hi Roger,
As usual, you give good advice, and I appreciate it!
I have replied within the text of your message.

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Jolly <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Thursday, December 11, 1997 10:44 AM
Subject: Re: Korean Piano Prepping, was Samick hammer knuckles HARD!!

>At 06:46 AM 12/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>Roger, Thanks for starting a thread I was thinking of starting! Namely
>>Korean piano prepping.  A dealer I work with does not see the value of
doing
>>this 'extra' work. It
>>would be great to have some input from you all about it. Specifically,
what
>>steps would
>>you include on the typical Korean grand out of the crate?  What if you
could
>>only get the dealer to spring for an extra hour of time? What would your
>>highest priorities be?
>>
>>Hi Brad,
>          Jim Bryant has hit the nail on the head, go for coffee, I have
>not uncrated any of these instruments that did'nt need a minimum of 1/2 a
>days work period. But may be I,m picky.

I have told this dealer many times in the past that these pianos need at
least a day!
No, I don't think you're being picky. He thinks they only need a 'tuning'.

>  Dealer education is part of our job, and that is where you have to start,
>his lack of concern is pulling your reputation and image down to his level,
>is this what you want for your self?

No, this is not what I want, but I feel like I have to be a crusader to get
this dealer to change, and ultimately he won't and I will lose a source of
new business.  ( And, it is not just Korean pianos, I get referrals of all
kinds, new Kawai, and Chas Walter customers, rebuilding work, action work,
Piano Disc installations, etc.) And, yes one
has to wonder what good is 'new business' if it starts on this premise? I
agree!

I tremble as I type, because of the flames that start when this kind of
subject comes up.  I am in business, I sell my service, and  I am limited by
how much I can change other people.  I wish I had only customers with 6' and
larger exquisite grand pianos within 15 minutes of my home, who love
everything I say and do, and pay double my rate.   But, that is not yet
reality, although I am working towards it.

> Having said this, approach the dealer and offer to properly prep one unit
>at a deal, with the clear understanding that if they notice the big
>improvement, and they can sell the piano quickly, he can then tack a set
>fee for service on to the selling price, he can use your work order to
>prove to the customer that his quality control is exceptional. this is
>going to translate to more sales and better profits for him, plus less
>hassels from his customers. I refer to this as quality base building your
>business.
>  Here I'm off on a tanget on ethics again.

This is a great suggestion! I will try it.  But, you know the thing is, he
(the dealer) does not hear big hassles from customers, because I think the
tunerz in the past have 'quick-fixed' things as they went. Or, simply took
advantage of customers ignorance, and adopted a 'don't ask-don't tell'
policy, instead of a real standard.  The thing is too,
this dealer does care about his customers, people love this guy, and they
trust him.  But, he tends to run around putting out fires, rather than
create a system that works better in the long run.  Maybe it is a symptom of
'sales', out-the-door, out-of-mind.

Regarding ethics, I read Les Smith's post about the Samick upright being as
good as the Steinway to that person...and I must concur.  Music is in the
ear of the beholder.
Last night I tuned this old Kurtzmann grand that was dried out like an
autumn leaf! Pins
were marginal at best, but it had a funky sound that made me want to play.
We all get frustrated by the fact that we know what a piano 'should' get,
and yet we don't have the authority to decide it most times.  And then
someone asks you if it's a good piano? Good for what?

> 1hr. wow! Protech all action centres. It's a rare one that will not need
>some centre work. Damper timing always seems to be a problem. A fast cheat
>is to bend the spoons up for a quick timing job. Suprising how many leaky
>dampers disappear.  Seat strings to bridge. Seat action glide bolts.  I
>think the hour is up. If the piano is very bright quickly steam the
hammers.

> We spend a minimum of one day per unit. Things to watch for, Jack
>alignment with the knuckle is usually poor, so do a fast hammer line, and
>the check this carefully. The wippen assist spings always need
>retensioning. The previous post re hard felts needs checking carefully, and
>remedial action as required. Rep springs always kick like a mule.
> I regulate these instruments with a Yamaha blow gauge and dip block and
>get great results at these specs. Gives about .020 after touch.
> I always regulate twice, kind of like pitch raising the action.
>Hope this helps.
>Roger Jolly
>University of Saskatchewan
>Dept. of Music.

Anyway thanks again for your input.  It always helps me to know others are
facing
the same challenges inside pianos all over the world.

Regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
Manchester, NH