Walter Lane

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 07:10:52 -0600

It always puzzles me how someone at the zenith of their trade can cease
immediately being involved in that trade.  Walter Lane according to Les did
only the best.  When he stopped, what did he do to keep himself going?
In our town,  we had a dealer  who was a real "piano man".  He was the
first Yamaha dealer here and was known for his fine pianos and work and he
was about the 3rd generation.  He lost the franchise because he would not
sell Yamaha guitars.  He was very stubborn but he lost the franchise
anyway.  He had been known for high class high quality work and yet after
the franchise was lost his business went down hill.  He died a few years
later and his wife has kept the business going (as a referral tuning
service mainly) to this day as his name reputation lives on.  I think even
if you stop doing whatever it is you are doing and you have done it really
well you can't stop things.  Things on their own just keep going and
gradually (very) will slow down.  But they do not stop.  Surely Walter Lane
must have done something after 1930, what was it?
James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"I am only as good as my last tuning"