violins and age

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 13:23:30 -0600

At 10:22 PM 12/10/97 -0800, you wrote:

>I hear the same things about violins. Except with violins we get even
sillier. We seem to be of the opinion that they get
>better with age. Who knows?

It has been thought for many years that a violin *plays* in after about ten
years of being *played* 3 to 6 hours per day. I do know that my violin which
is rarely played now does not sound as well *even* when played by another
violinist as it once did.

 Can anyone out there prove that? Talk about sentiment overpowering reason!
Antonio Stradivari (or
>Stradivarius) died in 1737. Who of us was there to judge what any of his
instruments sounded like when he finished them?

They most certainly do *not* sound the same. First the *neck* is longer
today, and both the bass bar and sound post will have been changed. There is
only *one* Strad in original condition...and it is *not* played.

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
drose@dlcwest.com
3004 Grant Rd.