Open letter to Dampp Chaser

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:27:38 -0600

Dear Wally,et al,

At 06:22 AM 12/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Bob Mair,
>
>At least let me suggest a simple fix.
>
>Frank stated, "it seems like the system is fighting itself."
>
>I certainly had no idea that one of the two parts is heating at all times.

May I respectfully point out that the Damppchaser is *not* fighting itself.
The wooden parts of a piano take a finite amount of time to begin to react
to the changes induced to the humidity control system. You might liken this
to the idea of *thermal* drag...i.e. Stone houses are comfortable year round
because of the great mass of material. By the time the dc changes from one
mode to the other the wood has not begun to *catch* up to the change.

I have seen representations from others from time to time about *changes*
induced into tuning by humidity control systems switching. I would love to
see *hard* data. In my own very sever climate humidity control of a home is
near impossible. Those clients who have pianos controlled save thousands of
dollars in tuning fees over the years, not to mention lack of cracking
soundboards.

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
drose@dlcwest.com