violins and age

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 17:55:57 -0600 (CST)

Hi Don,

I'm in the midst of reading a book called The Universe Within, by Morton
Hunt about the cognitive functions of the human brain. One of the many
interesting points made is something we all already know whether we know
that we know it or not. The memory of virtually anything is different than
the original experience. We process the original event into the internal
storage format, which consists mostly of impressions rather than minute
details, and store the result in long term memory. On retrieval, we find
we're operating on a "lossy" compression system because we not only don't
remember the details, but the person we were with remembers a considerably
different scenario altogether! Memories with pleasant connotations are
enhanced with recollection. We all remember something from our past which,
on later examination, wasn't really anywhere nearly as wonderful as we
thought we remembered it. Trying to find the magic sound we remember from
long ago may be just the result of the inefficiency of memory as much as a
deterioration of the product. Of course the old beater may be failing fast
too. With all this in (alleged) mind, it's inevitable that something ancient
enough to be beyond memory of anyone living will just naturally have to have
been transcendental in it's God-like qualities. So there! Now, if I can
remember how to post this...

Ron

At 01:23 PM 12/13/97 -0600, you wrote:
>At 10:22 PM 12/10/97 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>I hear the same things about violins. Except with violins we get even
>sillier. We seem to be of the opinion that they get
>>better with age. Who knows?
>
>It has been thought for many years that a violin *plays* in after about ten
>years of being *played* 3 to 6 hours per day. I do know that my violin which
>is rarely played now does not sound as well *even* when played by another
>violinist as it once did.
>
> Can anyone out there prove that? Talk about sentiment overpowering reason!
>Antonio Stradivari (or
>>Stradivarius) died in 1737. Who of us was there to judge what any of his
>instruments sounded like when he finished them?
>
>They most certainly do *not* sound the same. First the *neck* is longer
>today, and both the bass bar and sound post will have been changed. There is
>only *one* Strad in original condition...and it is *not* played.
>

>Regards,
>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.
>"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
>drose@dlcwest.com
>3004 Grant Rd.
>REGINA, SK