Concerning soundboard compression ridges

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 01:24:58 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997, Keith McGavern wrote:

> A Note About Soundboards:
>
> An important feature found in the Steinway is the design and installation
> of the soundboard.  This system is manufactured in such a way that it iws
> constantly under compression, which prevents the soundboard from relaxing.
> It is for this reason that compression reidges may occur.  Soundboard
> compression is planned and desirable.  Compression reidges are a cosmetic
> indication that the soundboard has simply absorbed moisture from the
> atmosphere.
>
>  Steinway & Sons Technical Service Manual, page 6

I, like everyone else, have read those words. It leads me to an interest-
ing question: like how much compression is TOO MUCH. Del will tell you
that compression ridges are a sign that the wood fibers have been stressed
past their failure point, that the cracks are already there, just waiting
to open up when the humidity changes. Are cracks in the board therefor to
be regarded as signs of a superior board? What about a new soundboard in
which not only are compression ridges present, but in which the compres-
sion is so great that the panels have distorted to the point that when
you run your hand down the left side of the board it feels like the topo-
graphy of the state of Colorado, is this also the sign of a superior
board? And what are we to think about such a board when it is combined
with such excessive down-bearing that the rate of decay is so rapid, the
length of sustain so short, that the sound in the temperament octave is so
poor and short-lived that one can barely hear the beats well enough to set
the temperament? And further, that the problem gets progressively worse
as we ascend up the piano, until the sound in the top third of the treble
is so poor that the piano is virtually unplayable except as an instrument
which might be used to accompany a Salvation Army Kazoo player manning
a collection kettle while dressed as Santa Claus during the Holiday
Season. Are these all to be regarded as signs of a highly-quality com-
pression fitted board? Are these all things we should look for when buying
a new piano? Inquiring minds want to know!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net