Clicking Key

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 11:05:46 -0800 (PST)

At 01:22 PM 12/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>     Dear List,
>
>     I tuned a Wurlitzer Spinet yesterday.  D4 makes an annoying click that
>     sounds like two pieces of wood being hit together every time it is
>     played.  In fact, if you press the key all the way down, let it up
>     just slightly (not enough for the Jack to return under the hammer
>     butt) and press it down again it will click again.  I spent around 20
>     minutes looking at the note from every angle and just could not see
>     what was causing it.  The hammer, damper flanges and pins were all
>     tight.  The jack is firmly against the let off and all felt is in
>     place.  The sound comes from the top and not the bottom of the action.
>
>     Do any of you have suggestions or experience with what is making the
>     noise?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Glen

>     Glen and Ruth Deligdisch
>     P.O. Box 248
>     Waxhaw, NC  28173
>
>     Tel:  (704) 843-0989
>
>     E-mail:  Glen_Deligdisch@SIL.ORG

Glen, did you check that the catcher was also tightly glued? It sounds just
like a loose hammer head when the glue joint fails.

Did you check where the spoon contacts the damper lever felt or cloth?
Sometimes there's a gob of glue there, or the spoon can eat through felt if
there's roughness.

If the hammer spring doesn't have a punching, but just rides against a
dratted teflon coating it can get noisy. Put a little VJ lube in an umbrella
rib and run it between the spring and notch.

If you hadn't said it sounded woody, I would have suggested that the jack
spring might be making a noise. Sometimes pulling or rebending them gets rid
of nasty little noises.

Good luck. If it isn't anything I mentioned, could you please tell us when
you figure it out? Always good to add to one's noise catalog.

Sincerely,

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"I'm glad that there are at least some things somewhere that I don't have to
do today."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant